Harvey Norman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamconsumer

PostPosted: 17 Jan 10 05:45
Post subject: Harvey Norman
Organisation name: Not Applicable
Issue type: Comment

Oh come on, everyone knows that retailers "extended warranty" is a crock of ****. You don't need to read every T&C, just read one. They are all the same!
kadee

PostPosted: 17 Jan 10 08:28
Organisation name: na

Couldn't disagree more. We buy extended warranty on just about everything and have claimed many, many times without issue. Some eg - a 5 year old 4in1 died and the ext. warranty paid out $300. Several laptops out of stat warranty have been repaired, 1 laptop replaced, LCD tv repaired, 3 yo vacuum replaced, 6 yo microwave repaired and on it goes. All have been thru IC Frith and not once have we had any delay or refusal.

The cost of the repairs/replacements would have far exceeded the cost of the warranty.
PokerGuy

PostPosted: 17 Feb 10 01:41

Im with Kadee there.

Im going to admit upfront Im an ex harvey norman employee. But Ive been away from Harveys for 10 years and still buy from them and STILL buy the extended warranties.

Ive had a camera replaced and a TV replaced under extended warranty (after I left - many years after).

What Cassie80 said about his/her purchase doesnt ring true. Sales staff dont hand over Manuals on the operation of equipment at the counter. They are SEALED inside the Washing machine inside the unit itself and cannot be taken out of it. To get it, the sales person would have to open the box completely including the washing machine.
The Cashiers are trained (drummed into them actually) to include the warranty cards (which look like a booklet) at the time of purchase with the receipt. I would suggest that what you remember as the Manual was actually the Warranty information.

Conversely the reverse of this argument use to happen a lot. Sales staff were told to start including a line on sales and have customers sign it saying they declined warranty. I remember a customer coming in 8 months out of warranty after his LCD screen on a laptop broke saying I never offered it to him. Even with his signature next to the line saying, CUSTOMER DECLINED EXTENDED WARRANTY, he said it wasnt offered and that I forged his signature.

Its always easy to blame the sales staff than take responsibility for your own actions
thisisnotalovesong

PostPosted: 27 Mar 10 11:40

I purchased a fridge with the salesman stating clearly it could be delivered Saturday. After waiting around on 3 separate days for them to turn up and loads of phone calls with no response I received my fridge. It cost me 3 days pay waiting around which came to $600.

My mother who purchased the fridge for my wedding decided she would go to the Bad guys to buy all white goods for her newly renovated Kitchen and Laundry.
They told her that a particular fridge was no longer manufactured.

She ended up buying everything from Myer and it was cheaper.
Joe43

PostPosted: 13 Apr 10 20:31

I don't shop at Harvey Norman after a couple of bad customer service experiences that were not resolved to my satisfaction. They are rude and stuff the customer around, just thinking about their next commission. Gerry Harvey is perhaps too old now to notice what is happening re staff not connecting well to consumers.

I am hearing more and more bad customer service experiences at Harvey Norman.
gillytownsville

PostPosted: 14 Apr 10 06:31

I think it is a little harsh to suggest Gerry Harvey Is a bit old when in reality has built and maintains the largest commputing, electrical and furniture business in Australia. I would say that there is things that can be done better and I can say all these matters are being regularly looked at. It is also worth saying that along with Gerry there are many other capable directors and staff helping develope the business.

Currently a roll out of a national training scheme is in place which is mandortory for all staff to complete which will certainly have a positive effect on service and it should be said that this training is very in debth and is certainly not a walk in the park as we have all come to exspect with some training. This will certainly go some way in improving the customer service issues.

When it is all said and done however as a job retailing is a low paid position with little upside so it tends to attract staff who use it as a stepping stone to something more rewarding. Certainly in the store I work in there are only a few staff that love what they do and view it as a career. Although to me it is frustrating, I find it hard to be angry with those I see not being committed to better customer service especially due to what I see them having to put up with during the day.

I would suggest next time you are unsatisfied, politely voice your opinion and you may be surprised at the responce.
Joe43

PostPosted: 14 Apr 10 09:19

No offence but how dare you downplay the poor customer service experiences at Harvey Norman. If the staff are useless-Gerry should sack them. If they need more pay - he should pay them more. Obviously his short - cut to save money by hiring juniors who don't care is not working.

But I also had a senior manager who managed my complaint about a faulty fridge I had and he was hopeless - he basically said - "look if you don't want it , you can return it". Yes a lot of them don't care - it's money, money , money they want - they don't want to serve and help. Customers know better - we will not be doormats for Harvey Norman to walk all over - no way.

The attitude there is quite amazing. You hardly ever get someone coming up to ask iyou if you need assistance - you have to search for someone-and when u approach them - they seem so annoyed you are getting them to do some work.

And may I add the female manager in the bedding department at HARVEY NORMAN MOORE PARK is the worst- she drove me mad with incorrect product knowledge . Her response - "but I have been involved in bedding for years".

Customers do notice and customers will speak up and poor customer service will ultimately cause the failure of any business who chooses to go down that path.
gillytownsville

PostPosted: 14 Apr 10 21:01

Joe, I do not take offence and I oppolagise for giving you the impression I was down playing your concerns. I sincerely understand your position. My comments were based purely on what I see as an insider and not only relates to Harvey Norman but the majority of the retail industry.

Unfortunately the boutique retail outlets that traditionally have been able to offer what is percieved to be a higher level of service are very quickly becoming obsolete, not because the big guy is pushing them out but because the consumer is demanding lower prices. Service comes at a price it is that simple and what consumers want drives the market. As a country If consumers really want exceptional service we must be willing to pay for it and it is clear in todays market that this is not the case.

In saying this I think that the initiatives that Harvey Norman are taking is a aknowledgement of your concerns and although no way offers you personally any satisfaction it is a leap forward for others in the future.

The answer is not to sack staff (Very Difficult) but select the correct staff that are trainable. I can not answer for More Park as I do not know them or anything about them all I can say is that the service you have recieved is obviously not up to your personal exspectations and urge you to consider other Harvey Norman stores which may meet your exspectations.
computerflyer

PostPosted: 14 Apr 10 21:17
Organisation name: n/a

gillytownsville,

I think you need to get out of the ivory tower and out and about more to see what consumers receive from HN franchisees.

A poster in the office is great looking on the wall, but it has little meaning if it is not executed nor felt where the staff meet with customers. That includes managers who shouldn't be for various reasons, but are.

Much of it has to do with pushing the laws, effectively bullying customers into accepting policies that contravene laws (which are posted at the register to protect the guilty), and on it goes. That is not training, that is the franchisee's businss plan (whether or not it is Gerry Harvey's).

Lastly, Gerry Harvey is not super-rich because he is altruistic or necessarily fair, it is because he is a shrewd business person who gives as little as possible to gain as much as possible and has found a balance for himself in the franchise world.
gillytownsville

PostPosted: 15 Apr 10 06:00

Yes there are instances were staff and management can do better. And yes some staff and management need either not to be there or need to try harder. Is this not the same in any workplace?

The policy statements on the counters of all stores are a requirement by law and not to protect the guilty but to inform consumers of thier legal rights. They have nothing to do with training apart from the fact everyone is trained in the requirements of the law.

Retailers overall for years have gone over and above these requirements to satisfy customer complaints, so much so that it has become the normal and is just excepted from the consumer. Like cheaper prices we want more when we have a compliant needing resolution.

I am interested in what you would suggest to make things better and maintain a fair balance?

Lastly, Gerry having been succesful has come on the back of years of hard work and yes shrewd business that along the way has made things better for consumers. Better Prices, More to choose from and a lively, active competitive market to name just a few.
computerflyer

PostPosted: 15 Apr 10 06:14
Organisation name: n/a

> I am interested in what you would suggest to make things better and maintain a fair balance?

Easy one. When a customer is legally entitled to a refund, just give it to them. Don't tell them your policy is only a credit slip good for 6 months, and only in the one department. Then make multiple calls to supervisors and unnamed persons on the phone over 20 minutes after my legals rights are noticed over the register before giving my refund.

icon_evil.gif

(That is why I no longer go into at least one HN store. BTW, if you are not in PR you should be, perhaps even for one of our outstanding governments.)
Joe43

PostPosted: 15 Apr 10 08:39

No Gilly it's "not the same in any workplace" - many workplaces consistently display EXCELLENT customer service - it's not hard once you get out of yourself and start serving! Some Harvey Norman employees and managers want to be served!

It's high time Gerry Harvey got away from his longggggg lunches and with his wife did some management by walking about the stores.

But I doubt it - have you tried emailing Gerry Harvey - he is not interested in receiving any emails.

The senior manager from the Moore Park store who attended to my fridge problem was not interested and just said " if u don't want it we can take it back"!!!!!!!! I will NEVER forget it. And I have told so many people about this experience.

Computerflyer I avoid all H.N stores - and am active in letting others know about the lack of customer service there.

Gilly below is a good example - just thinking it's minor problem.
Joe43

PostPosted: 15 Apr 10 08:46

Janu,

Your post below re your furniture has been noticed - thankyou. That is customer service of the worst kind. Why doesn't Gerry Harvey or his wife visit that store personally and work out what happened . What do they want? The situation to get worse until we get an RTA mess we got this week in NSW.

I spent a thousand dollars on a couch recently - NOT FROM HARVEY NORMAN - I avoided them like a plague.
kadee

PostPosted: 15 Apr 10 10:25
Organisation name: na

You can return the fridge if you don't want it sounds okay to me. What's wrong with that option?
Joe43

PostPosted: 15 Apr 10 11:50

Kadee,

You obviously are not a normal, everyday consumer.

When one goes to the effort to buy a product, stay at home so u are there when it is delivered and then get something that is not fit for purpose - it just can't be brushed aside by "oh u can return it".

What happened to - "we will deliver u a reaplacement", "please explain the problem so furure customers do not experience the same", "now lets see if another store has something 4 u" "oh it's not safe - I see that - please give us the full details - we wouldn't want our customers to get hurt and we wouldn't want to break the safety laws".

THEY DON'T CARE. FULL STOP.

If they are your standards Kadee - good luck as you play the role of PASSIVE consumer - which in the end stuffs us all up because businesses become complacent.
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: [<< Previous]  1, 2, 3, 4  [Next >>]
Jump to: