Harvey Norman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillytownsville

PostPosted: 14 Apr 10 06:31
Post subject: Harvey Norman
Organisation name: Not Applicable
Issue type: Comment

I think it is a little harsh to suggest Gerry Harvey Is a bit old when in reality has built and maintains the largest commputing, electrical and furniture business in Australia. I would say that there is things that can be done better and I can say all these matters are being regularly looked at. It is also worth saying that along with Gerry there are many other capable directors and staff helping develope the business.

Currently a roll out of a national training scheme is in place which is mandortory for all staff to complete which will certainly have a positive effect on service and it should be said that this training is very in debth and is certainly not a walk in the park as we have all come to exspect with some training. This will certainly go some way in improving the customer service issues.

When it is all said and done however as a job retailing is a low paid position with little upside so it tends to attract staff who use it as a stepping stone to something more rewarding. Certainly in the store I work in there are only a few staff that love what they do and view it as a career. Although to me it is frustrating, I find it hard to be angry with those I see not being committed to better customer service especially due to what I see them having to put up with during the day.

I would suggest next time you are unsatisfied, politely voice your opinion and you may be surprised at the responce.
Joe43

PostPosted: 13 Apr 10 20:31

I don't shop at Harvey Norman after a couple of bad customer service experiences that were not resolved to my satisfaction. They are rude and stuff the customer around, just thinking about their next commission. Gerry Harvey is perhaps too old now to notice what is happening re staff not connecting well to consumers.

I am hearing more and more bad customer service experiences at Harvey Norman.
thisisnotalovesong

PostPosted: 27 Mar 10 11:40

I purchased a fridge with the salesman stating clearly it could be delivered Saturday. After waiting around on 3 separate days for them to turn up and loads of phone calls with no response I received my fridge. It cost me 3 days pay waiting around which came to $600.

My mother who purchased the fridge for my wedding decided she would go to the Bad guys to buy all white goods for her newly renovated Kitchen and Laundry.
They told her that a particular fridge was no longer manufactured.

She ended up buying everything from Myer and it was cheaper.
PokerGuy

PostPosted: 17 Feb 10 01:41

Im with Kadee there.

Im going to admit upfront Im an ex harvey norman employee. But Ive been away from Harveys for 10 years and still buy from them and STILL buy the extended warranties.

Ive had a camera replaced and a TV replaced under extended warranty (after I left - many years after).

What Cassie80 said about his/her purchase doesnt ring true. Sales staff dont hand over Manuals on the operation of equipment at the counter. They are SEALED inside the Washing machine inside the unit itself and cannot be taken out of it. To get it, the sales person would have to open the box completely including the washing machine.
The Cashiers are trained (drummed into them actually) to include the warranty cards (which look like a booklet) at the time of purchase with the receipt. I would suggest that what you remember as the Manual was actually the Warranty information.

Conversely the reverse of this argument use to happen a lot. Sales staff were told to start including a line on sales and have customers sign it saying they declined warranty. I remember a customer coming in 8 months out of warranty after his LCD screen on a laptop broke saying I never offered it to him. Even with his signature next to the line saying, CUSTOMER DECLINED EXTENDED WARRANTY, he said it wasnt offered and that I forged his signature.

Its always easy to blame the sales staff than take responsibility for your own actions
kadee

PostPosted: 17 Jan 10 08:28
Organisation name: na

Couldn't disagree more. We buy extended warranty on just about everything and have claimed many, many times without issue. Some eg - a 5 year old 4in1 died and the ext. warranty paid out $300. Several laptops out of stat warranty have been repaired, 1 laptop replaced, LCD tv repaired, 3 yo vacuum replaced, 6 yo microwave repaired and on it goes. All have been thru IC Frith and not once have we had any delay or refusal.

The cost of the repairs/replacements would have far exceeded the cost of the warranty.
grahamconsumer

PostPosted: 17 Jan 10 05:45

Oh come on, everyone knows that retailers "extended warranty" is a crock of ****. You don't need to read every T&C, just read one. They are all the same!
Thing

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 15:39
Organisation name: n/a

Perhaps you should advise Office of Fair Trading or ACCC, by your claims HN may be breaching Fair Trading legislation or Trade Practices act.
progressivedirection

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 12:40

Harvey Norman's prices are always more expensive. They seem to do this deliberately because you are always able to 'negotiate' a better deal. E.G. We were quoted $9 for a plug which we knew we could get in a supermarket for $5, and we told the salesperson. Suddenly he lowers the price to $5 as well. That's a big discrepancy in price for even a small item.

We also went to HN Bundall (Gold Coast) to buy some floor tiles before Xmas and were quoted $29 per square metre... but during the sale (which supposedly offered 20% off the price.... suddenly they were selling the same item for FORTY Dollars per square metre! (i.e. $11 more per sq metre). When we questioned this, they offered to sell them at the same price as the regular price which we had been quoted before the 'sale'.
We're going elsewhere!
We like to know the company we're going to deal with will be honest!
janu

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 15:20

i bought a $2500 corner chaise from harvey norman dandenong on 13/09/2009 and their invoice says that it will be available for pickup in 6-8 weeks ,after expiry of 10 weeks there is no sign of it , all they give is vague dates . This company is crap never buy anything from them
kadee

PostPosted: 26 Sep 09 11:26

Buying an extended warranty is like buying anything else, it's a product. Regardless of the salesman's slackness I can't comprehend why you would not want to see what you are buying ie the T&C. I'd assume you wouldn't buy an insurance policy without asking what it covers. Same thing. Some personal responsibility from consumers goes a long way to avoiding such issues.

With the volume of info available to us these days research is ridiculously easy. 5 years is plenty of time to check it out.
computerflyer

PostPosted: 26 Sep 09 09:33

Extended warranties are almost never provided through the manufacturer. If you look at some manufacturer's extended warranties they are ridiculously overpriced, and they are generally as limited as the companies who sell roughly similar plans for 40-70% of the price. The failure rates are generally low enough so it is a very profitable business.

We purchased a few extended warranties from our local HN, and each time a T&C document was provided. Reads like your sales person did not do the right thing.

Our first HN extended warranty claim took a few weeks but with an excellent outcome. Since then we are more inclined to consider extended warranties on larger ticket items and those that would cost lots to repair within a reasonable service life post manufacturer warranty.

BTW, many credit cards provide certain extended warranties for products bought on the cards, but the hoops to claim are significant, most people don't keep their receipts for the extra years, and most don't pay attention that they even have that cover.
cassie80

PostPosted: 26 Sep 09 07:07

I did not ask for a copy of the terms, was told to keep my recipt for future reference in case I have an issue. He gave a small handbook for the operating instructions with my reciept and that's it.
It was my first purchase of an extended warranty thus I had no idea that it would not be with Fisher and Paykle.
kadee

PostPosted: 26 Sep 09 06:38

When you purchased the extended warranty what did the salesman say when you asked for a copy of the warranty terms and conditions?
cassie80

PostPosted: 26 Sep 09 03:38

I have purchased several items from Harvey Norman over the past 10 years; I found their items to be of high quality however I was not impressed with their Extended Warranty Company. I purchased a Fisher and Paykel dishwasher approx 5 years ago, the sales man offered me an extended warranty for only an extra $100 which I took. The Fisher and Paykel warranty lasted 5 years which was fairly generous and I figured the extended warranty was through Fisher & Paykel. At no time did the sales assistance advise me that the extended warranty was through Harvey Norman nor did he give me any notes and pamphlets regarding this.
As you probably guessed, 5 1/2 years later I had an issue with the dishwasher, the kick-plate broke off exposing a live wire. I rang Fisher& Paykel, they sent around their technician to fix the problem. I gave the tech my receipt which he then advised me I had to go through Harvey Norman, thus I had to pay the tech $120.00 in cash for a simple plastic clip to replace the kick plate.
I rang Harvey Norman and discussed the issue, explaining what happened. They refused to reimburse me for the repair as it was not covered under their Extended Warranty. As you can imagine I was very angry, I soon found out that Harvey Norman's warranty only covered limited things, unlike the original warranty. They said my issue was only cosmetic and does not affect the working order of the dishwasher (even though a live wire was exposed). I then advised them that I was not told this when I originally bought the extended warranty, nor was I told it was through Harvey Norman and not Fisher and Paykel. Obviously I would not have purchased the extended warranty under those terms. She apologized but refused to reimburse me. I sent a letter to the head office only to get a reply saying there was nothing they could do. I was very disappointed and felt deceived by Harvey Norman. I will never buy another extended warranty again plus Harvey Norman has lost a valuable customer.
CORDELL

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 22:55

HARVEY NORMAN MIDLAND WESTERN AUSTRALIA HAVE NO IDEA OF CUSTOMER SERVICE. I ORDERED PINNACLE 12 UPGRADE ULTIMATE SOFTWARE TWO AND A HALF WEEKS AGO. I WENT IN THERE FRIDAY OF LAST WEEK AND THEY INFORMED ME THAT PINNACLE DID NOT HAVE ANYMORE SOFTWARE OF THIS DESCRIPTION. THEY SAID THEY WERE AWAITING A DELIVERY FROM THERE STORE IN MANDURAH. I RANG THEM ON TUESDAY AND THEY SAID THEY WERE STILL WAITING. I ASKED WHY IT IS TAKING SO LONG. THEY SAID TO ME THAT IT WILL COME IN IT'S OWN GOOD TIME. I CANCELLED THE ORDER. I PICK UP THE SOFTWARE FROM MY LOCAL POST OFFICE TOMORROW AND I ORDERED IT ON TUESDAY AND INSTEAD OF PAYING $139.95 I PAID $129.90. THE COMPANY I PURCHASED IT FROM SOFTWARE TIME AUSTRALIA. HARVEY NORMAN SHOULD TAKE A LEAF FROM SOFTWARE TIME AND EMPLOY PROPERLY TRAINED RETAIL PEOPLE AND NOT FRESH FACED SCHOOLKIDS WHO DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT DEALING WITH THE PUBLIC. I WILL DEFINITELY NEVER USE HARVEY NORMAN AGAIN.
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: [<< Previous]  1, 2, 3, 4  [Next >>]
Jump to: